Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hearing the differential

From: btd@carina.cray.com (Bryan Dongray)
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 1995 17:42:57 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Hearing the differential
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Wieland wrote:
> Ronald wrote:
> > Can someone decipher the whispering at 2:35 to 2:38 in There Goes A
> > Tenner. Thanks
> This is, what you need: A special Katective-tool (it was mentioned about a
> year ago, when Vickie discovered the phenomenon of phase cancelation).
>
> You need a big plug for your headphones:
> Symbolic representation of the plug:

>    VVVVVVVV
>  \
>   ---------  ----
>            \/    \/\
>                     \
>                     /
>            /\    /\/
>   ---------  ----
>  /
>
> You have to coat the "VVV" labeled area with thin tape (not Gaffer's tape,
> but use this thin Scotch tape, where you can write on, it works good). As
> a good Katective, I always carry such a prepared plug with me and it worked
> perfectly on this problem. Kate's voice is almost completely canceled and
> you can hear this whispering MUCH better. So, I hear it quite good, but my
> English is too bad to get it. Sorry.
>
> It's a MUST for every lovehound to own such a "Dreaming"-plug!!!!
>
> PS: Some research in the archive revealed: It was the famous Michael
> Knight, who invented this "Dreaming"-plug.

Actually with any high tech tape, nor the worries about poking something
alien into your favourite Hi-Fi and ruining it, and also allowing everyone
to hear the differential sound (ie the difference between the Left and
the Right speaker, which hides the "center sound" - ie often Kate), this
is all you have to do:
	Many Hi-Fi speaker wires no longer have plugs or jacks, but you
	poke wires into little metal grip things, well just take the
	two black wires and just connect them (not into either black
	gripper).
ie:
	L red	--x---------- to left speaker
	L black	--x	----- to left speaker

	R black	--x	----- to right speaker
	R red	--x---------- to right speaker
NB Often the black leads are internally just earth/ground so leaving those
plugged in and connecting the reds will not work.

I don't own a high tech plug, but knowing the "why" behind it means I
could come up with this alternative. I've seen various different ways
of hearing the difference between the left and right.

Anyway, I heard the whispering off "Tenner" and it sounds like someone
counting from 1 to 5, and it IS clearer with the difference engine.

	"...Our engineer had a different idea..."

			Bryan Dongray