Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Line Cross Curve

From: pmramey@ix.netcom.com (Paul M. Ramey )
Date: 2 Nov 1995 23:36:29 GMT
Subject: Re: Line Cross Curve
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In <4794mr$i50@dewey.csun.edu> jbuchwald@huey.csun.edu (Norman
Buchwald) writes:

>Though it gradually turns into a story.  It is a film that features
>the songs.  But don't many musical films do that?  I guess because of
>the emphasis on VISUALS and images and symbols, we may be tempted to
>use the term "video," but I almost feel that Kate is reinventing the
>video album, and  may even pioneer the possibilities of future video
>films, in general.

>Kate has simply blurred the lines of video album and film.  I'd still
>recommend getting the video tape, (anyone who is interested).

Didn't Kate compare TLTCTC to The Beatles' MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR in
interviews? The Beatles' film has a lot of similarities with TLTCTC in
the way that the music ties in with the visuals and "plot". Both of
these works certainly blur the distiction between a video album and a
film (although video albums didn't exist when MMT was done). I also
think that both TLTCTC and MMT work as video albums but fail as
films....the music video segments on both are often brilliant, but much
of what lies between these segments often makes me cringe a bit.

Paul (PMRamey@ix.netcom.com)