Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Line Cross Curve

From: Norman Buchwald <jbuchwald@huey.csun.edu>
Date: 2 Nov 1995 00:51:39 GMT
Subject: Re: Line Cross Curve
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

"rec.music.gaffa" <100661.1730@CompuServe.COM> wrote:
>I saw its premier in Leicester Square in November 93 with Kate in
>attendence.  I must admit, I cringed a bit throughout; I mean, Kate
>kept presenting it as a "film" but really it's an extended video
>with a bit of dialogue.  As a video it works really well, but as a
>film?!
>
>The clip of "The Red Shoes" is some of her best visual work to date.
>
>Will

Well, it's like a musical.  Maybe operetta is the more appropriate term.
 When Kate did THE NINTH WAVE she wanted to do something more than one
song, three to five minutes long.  TLTCTC appears to have been made in a
similar vain, regarding a video and a story.  (Kate was planning to do
this with TNW in the first place.)

I consider the result to at first, appear like a music video ("Rubberband
Girl") but then continue into a story.  Suddenly that fan bursts onto the
scene and it's no longer a video album or EP, really.  Though it
gradually turns into a story.  It is a film that features the songs.  But
don't many musical films do that?  I guess because of the emphasis on
VISUALS and images and symbols, we may be tempted to use the term
"video," but I almost feel that Kate is reinventing the video album, and
may even pioneer the possibilities of future video films, in general.
TLTCTC is a shorter film, then say The Wall.  (And more linear and
recognizably structured, maybe.  Well considering the multiple film
genres employed in the film, I'd say it's still not exactly, linear).
Kate has simply blurred the lines of video album and film.  I'd still
recommend getting the video tape, (anyone who is interested).  I read
another post where someone was complaining about the acting and Miranda
Richardson.   I should remind everyone that Miranda Richardson's
character, Lindsay Kemp's character, and Lily are represented here as
"magical characters" in a world that exists in the mirror.  They are part
of the fairy tale, "Red Shoes."  That means that they tend to act in
unusual ways because of the nature of their world.

                                          The Storm
                                          Murderer!  Murderer of calm!