Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Red Shoes

From: mdean@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael W. Dean)
Date: 2 Nov 1995 14:57:33 GMT
Subject: Re: The Red Shoes
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9510251846.aa28433@srvwingb.sco.com>,
Craig Heath <craig@sco.COM> wrote:
>> From: mdean@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael W. Dean)
>> Date: 24 Oct 1995 01:12:35 GMT
>
>>     Let's look at it this way:  who here thinks of The Red Shoes as Kate's
>> absolute best work ever?
>
>Actually, I do.  While it's probably not the most adventurous album*, I find
>it the most moving.  I am constantly astonished at the emotional resonances
>Kate manages to conjure up, as much with the music as the lyrics.  Some of
>it can be analysed (like the "Whiter Shade of Pale" references), and I think
>it helps being "of an age" with Kate, i.e. thirty-something, but for the
>most part, how and why this happens is a complete mystery to me.

    It was almost inevitable that to someone out there, The Red Shoes
would be tops.  Hell, there's folks out there to whom Lionheart is the
leader.  Reading this group, however, I get the feeling that The Red Shoes
is a little more middling, while Hounds and Dreaming are more favored (I
don't know if anyone did a tally of the old "Rate Kate" thread, but that's
what I remember).

Mike