Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate on Q Tape

From: MCQUARRF@ucfv.bc.ca
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 16:37:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Kate on Q Tape
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
CC: MCQUARRF@ucfv.bc.ca

Sorry if this is redundant - I'll be as brief as possible just in case.

With the October issue of Q (excellent British music mag) there is a free
cassette of "cruisin' classics" - including Ms. Kate's "Running Up the Hill".
Now personally I would not call this a "car tune" but I can't argue with their
desire to spread the word o'Kate :)
However, in the accompanying notes in the magazine itself, it says:
"....According to the astonishing lyric, she wished to swap places with no less
than God. Pushing things a tad, even for Kate."

Surely the author has misunderstood the lyric?
"If I only could
I'd make a deal with God
and get him to swap [?] places".

Is it "swap OUR places" or "swap places"? And in any case, isn't she talking
about swapping places with the significant other person, and God is the person
facilitating (so to speak) the swap?

Curiously,
Fiona