Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate on Q Tape

From: Robb McCaffree <nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu>
Date: 21 Oct 1995 06:01:15 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate on Q Tape
To: rec-music-gaffa@agate.berkeley.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

MCQUARRF@ucfv.bc.ca wrote:

> Sorry if this is redundant - I'll be as brief as possible just in case.
>
> The October issue of Q says:
> "....According to the astonishing lyric, she wished to swap places with no less
> than God. Pushing things a tad, even for Kate."
>
> Surely the author has misunderstood the lyric?
> "If I only could
> I'd make a deal with God
> and get him to swap [?] places".
>
> Is it "swap OUR places" or "swap places"? And in any case, isn't she talking
> about swapping places with the significant other person, and God is the person
> facilitating (so to speak) the swap?

	Well, it is indeed OUR places, and I too had always thought
that Kate was wanting God to swap her place with that of a lover. But
grammatically, it still works the other way:

	'I'd get him (God) to swap our (God's and my) places"

	But the following lyric, "I'd be running up that road" hardly
seems to be an act worthy of a God(dess).

Robb