Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sunday All Over the World

From: ben@flump.netkonect.co.uk (Benedict Poole)
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 21:11:55 +0000
Subject: Re: Sunday All Over the World
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>mmoore@prysm.com writes:
>
>Is anyone familiar with the band Sunday All Over the World?
>This band has been described as a cross between Kate Bush
>and King Crimson. I have the only CD I've ever found, and
>the description is correct. The band included Robert Fripp and
>his wife Toyah Wilcox. Toyah does remind many people of Kate.
>
>Has Toyah done any other music??

I'm not surprised the band's described as being KC-like, as I believe it
features not only Fripp, but also Trey Gunn on Chapman Stick, who also
plays in the latest incarnation of KC.

Toyah's done A LOT! From punky/poppy stuff in the '80s onwards...

People might also want to check out Toni Childs' most recent album, THE
WOMAN'S BOAT. It's a bit OTT with the earth mother/to be a woman thing (I'm
not inviting flames, it's just clumsily handled as a theme on the album),
but nevertheless a fine album. It features all kinds of artists including
Peter Gabriel and Trey Gunn.

The Chapman Stick has a lovely and unique sound, and can have a gorgeous
bass tone. Given Kate's pleasure in the unusual, and her love of bassy
stuff, I would be intrigued to hear this instrument used in some of her
future material.

TTFN
Ben

Benedict Poole, England                          ben@flump.netkonect.co.uk