Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: MisK.

From: Norman Buchwald <jbuchwald@csun.edu>
Date: 17 Oct 1995 19:44:44 GMT
Subject: Re: MisK.
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

     IEDSRI@aol.com wrote:
>Norman Buchwald writes:
> > Also:  anyone interested in taking a stab at transcribing
> > the lyrics not mentioned in the lyrics of her songs?
> > (Example:  The narration in "Jig Of Life," the concluding
> > lines of "The Wedding List," latin phrases and their
> > translations.)
>
>This has already been done. The complete lyrics (more or less) can be found
>in The Garden (via ftp and various Kate Bush WWW sites).
>
>Bryan Dongwray's cross-indexing of the Cathy Demos titles is very helpful.
>IED has some amendments to offer:
>
>"Surrender Into the Roses   Camilla"  -- Important change:
>IED's suggested title should read "Carmilla". The song explores
>the Victorian vampire story of the same title, written by
>Sheridan LeFanu; hence IED's suggested title. Carmilla, not
>Camilla. Of course, this may not be the actual title of Kate
>Bush's song.
>
>"The Gay Farewell   Eddie the Queen"  -- The correct title of
>this one is pretty well confirmed as "The Gay Farewell"; IED's
>title, "Eddie the Queen", is not likely.
>
>"Something Like a Song   In My Garden" -- The correct title of
>this one is pretty well confirmed as "Something Like a Song",
>not "In My Garden".
>
>"Ferry Me Over" and "Dali" -- These suggested titles are indeed
>for the same song.  IED was told by someone long ago that the
>song was suggested by Salvador Dali imagery; he has never had
>any confirmation of this claim, however.  He has absolutely no
>idea what this song may actually be about; he only knows that
>it is a masterpiece.
>
>As Bryan suggests, the Phoenix titles seem to be more
>authentic, for the most part, with the above possible exceptions
>noted. It's too bad that we can't really confirm any of the demos' titles.
>
>-- Andrew Marvick (IED)
>   S         R        I

     Never fear, Love Hounds.  I've already realized the difference of
titles in demos (for those who have voted them.  And will simply label
each song title with the other one(s) in parenthesies when the results
are posted.)  A couple of you have already told me about "The Garden,"
though I am suspicious that some of these lyrics seem to come from one
or more persons' ears (good ears, but ears, regardless).  After all a
number of us know the "Waltz (Rose) Growing Old" story (that would not
happen in "The Garden," but still.)  After all, I thought I had good ears
and did not know that the "heroine" of "The Wedding List" was carrying
"Rudi's child"(!)  I think that adds meaning to what the song is really
about(!)  I've saved the lyrics page, but as I glanced over it, I
realized it's not complete as of yet.

     Oh, one more thing.  Please refrain from making initials in your
votes.  For awhile, I had this song called "RUTH" listed, and I was
totally puzzled over this KB song I never heard of, until I finally
realized!:)  (RUTH = Running Up That Hill)

                                                 Stormin' Norman

                                            "Murderer, murderer of calm."

P.S.:  Just in case that was you, Kate, who chose to put in a temporary
post with that artificial address.  (Even creating a joke in your own
vain.  I can see that.  We deserve to be teased once in awhile.)  You are
my favorite artist.  You made a difference in my writing.  You make me
see the world anew after I hear your songs, your albums.

Well, why not?  I can dream, can't I?  My heart did stop and it's
pounding ever since, regardless.  I don't mind the joke because I like to
dream.  (So I thank you, practical joker.  And I don't see why some feel
they have to "hunt" for you, the likely imposter!  (It's in the
trees/It's coming!):)  That may make me gullible, but I've been cynical
too long.  What's wrong with being a little gullible, once in awhile?)

"When the sailors saw "the joke" they all did stand and stare . . ."