Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Where there's smoke, there's flaming.

From: chrisw@miso.wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 95 03:34:17 GMT
Subject: Re: Where there's smoke, there's flaming.
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

>In article <Pine.3.89.9510031156.E9397-0100000@cd.cd.columbus.oh.us>,
>Stuart M. Castergine <scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us> writes:
>
>> You need to go even younger than that. The baby isn't newborn, it is
>> *unborn* and rebelling at the idea of going out into the
>> nuclear-war-ravaged world. I believe the nicotine reference is just that.
>> The baby's mother (not Kate's mother) is alive and she smokes. ...
>
>Yes, I've seen the video, but the two stories are not necessarily
>equivalent (and sometimes better if not, IMHO).  I *used* to
>picture the narrator as an adult woman in a fall-out shelter.

   We all develop our own stories in the absence of a video...sometimes
they are even better. But the video was storyboarded by Kate, and reflects
her intentions.

>It sounds to me like the narrator is saying she is breathing.
>Wouldn't you agree?  If so, what does her character mean by that?
>Unborn children do not breathe.  Couldn't they be "the first and last"
>post-nuclear babies?
>And what does she mean by "breathing my mother in"?

   But if you view "breathing" as "taking oxygon in" the fetus *does*
"breath" in sustanance from the mother.

>I must admit, it is hard for me to get a good handle on the "story"
>in this song.  IED, what do *you* think?
>
>I'm sure we all agree on "the grand theme", the devil is in the...
>
>PS:
>> Gee, in proper html, it would actually be...
>The worst thing about standards is that some people think you should
>actually follow them.

   Well, *ACTUALLY* <OPINION></OPINION> would be proper SGML (assuming it was
defined) but not a legitimate HTML tag (not even NHTML or M$HTML.) Yet.

Chris Williams of Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
chrisw@miso.wwa.com (his)
vickie@miso.wwa.com (hers)
"How perfectly goddammed delightful it all is, to be sure." - C. Crumb