Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Where there's smoke, there's flaming.

From: Norman Buchwald <jbuchwald@csun.edu>
Date: 7 Oct 1995 19:47:12 GMT
Subject: Re: Where there's smoke, there's flaming.
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

maitreya@village.ios.com (Philip Verdieck) wrote:
>Stuart M. Castergine (scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us) wrote:
>
> It could be
>: that kate took images and perspectives that don't quite match and blended
>: them.
>
>Excuse me, you mean KaTe sometimes takes images and perspectives that
>don't match????

The term for that is juxtaposition, one of the most important elements
for the work of any artist, really.  Taking any images and perspectives
that don't quite go together and placing them side by side.  Kate's songs
are loaded with such juxtapositions.  I mean the music background of "All
The Love" and the sense of reincarnation, concluded with messages of
"goodbye" on an answering machine?  Every artist creates their own world.
 Yeats is one poet who has developed schemes and gives clues to the
reader of seeing his work, but most artists don't have the schemes
available.  See?  Critics do have a purpose on this earth-- at least as
far as technique is concerned.  As long as they don't spend too much time
"judging" and focus more on "interpreting" to figure out the words a
writer puts on the page, the melodies the songwriter creates, etc.

                                                       Stormin' Norman