Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Kate ever said anything about Tori?"

From: gprimm@lys.vnet.net (GREGG PRIMM)
Date: 3 Oct 1995 17:09:33 GMT
Subject: Re: "Kate ever said anything about Tori?"
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Norman Buchwald (jbuchwald@csun.edu) wrote:

[a bunch of stuff about the tired old Tori V. Kate thing that I agree with]

... but then he said:

: American Pop Music and especially the scene of L.A. in the mid-to late
: eighties, the pop metal scene (a.k.a. Lone Justice and later Heart and
: 'Til Tuesday).                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just wanted to point out that anyone that would characterize Lone Justice
as "pop metal" has clearly *never* listened to either one of their albums.
The first album (self titled) is a breathtaking mixture of country, rock,
R&B, gospel, and honky tonk, while the second album ("Shelter") is a
more rock-oriented (but quite definitely not "pop metal") album, with some
gorgeous ballads.  To even mention this brilliant (not to mention
*years* ahead of their time -- if these albums came out in the last
couple of years I'm certain they would have been smashes) and terribly
underappreciated band in the same sentence as Heart hasn't done their
homework.

Otherwise, I'd say you're on the mark.

-- Gregg