Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Where there's smoke, there's flaming.

From: "p. Dale Campbell" <a026120@goodyear.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 95 16:47:18 EDT
Subject: Where there's smoke, there's flaming.
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET (The Love Hounds)
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]

In article <44eg1r$4rd@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, jjh969@aol.com (JJH969)
wrote:
> In article <449fns$5lq@dewey.csun.edu>, jbuchwald@csun.edu (Norman
> Buchwald) writes:
> > Have you forgotten "Breathing?"  ("Breathing my mother in/Breathing her
> > nicotine"?)  Why would Kate smoke when she's pregnant ...
>
> Kate's mom smoked ?  Kate seems to have turned out OK.

<\BEGIN OPINION>
This passage is really saying something else.  The "nicotine" refers to
the charred smoke from her mother's *body*; a very disturbing and
effective image (affective, also!), I think.  I used to think that the
narrator was an older person, but now I can see it being a newborn
baby.

{By popular demand, "smoking" flames suppressed.}
<\END OPINION>

--
The UnderToad, (P. Dale Campbell, pdCampbell@goodyear.com)
___
 |    "Love is like oxygen"; no smoking, please!
 |/
 |\