Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Lionheart

From: Norman Buchwald <jbuchwald@csun.edu>
Date: 26 Sep 1995 18:11:08 GMT
Subject: Re: Lionheart
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>My response was, in fact, two sentences too long.  I am usually
>a pacifist non-smoker, except when it comes to children.
>I can only say that *if* Kate is
>going to have children, I sincerely hope she gives up
>the habit then, for their sakes.
>
>Now for the puzzler:
>Why is the title of "Oh England My Lionheart" hand-lettered on
>the cover of my _Lionheart_ CD, when all the other titles are
>typeset?  I tried grep'ing for this in the archives and the Garden,
>but all I got was the haystack.
>
>--
>The UnderToad, (P. Dale Campbell, pdCampbell@goodyear.com)
>___

Have you forgotten "Breathing?"  ("Breathing my mother in/Breathing her
nicotine"?)  Why would Kate smoke when she's pregnant when she's been
aware of the effects it can do to a fetus more than fifteen years ago?
Personally, I'm more concerned about her own health (I want her to be
around for years to come) and her voice, if anything  (She'll run into
more and more problems the more and more her throat's affected.)  As for
the "Oh England My Lionheart" logo, on my Woman's Work CD set, the
"Lionheart" CD also prints the lyrics, and the lyrics are also uniquely
handwritten compared to the typesetting to the rest.  Kate considered the
song very important to her.  (I wish I was home so I could refer to
quotes she may have made on The Visual Documentary book about her.
(Printed right after the release of "The Whole Story" and available at
any Tower record store that sells books).  Written in the tradition of
the World War I poems, (very famous in Brit Lit to this day) she sings
from the point of view from a soldier just shot in the war and in love
with his country.  Kate is probably also indirectly singing the love for
her country, anthemlike.  So it's a personal choice on her part.  Not bad
since until "The Dreaming," Kate did not have complete control over her
art.

                                             Stormin' Norman