Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: what's the GLC?

From: hyuzt@csv.warwick.ac.uk (Steve Thomas)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 09:25:54 -0400
Subject: Re: what's the GLC?
To: rec-music-gaffa@moderators.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <43krpo$60s@news1.panix.com>,
	deb@aswas.com (Debbie Levitt) writes:

>I've been listening to the extra CD's from the This Woman's Work box
>set.  The 2nd song on the 2nd disc is called, "Ken," and the CD claims
>it's from a "Comic Strip" movie GLC.  I'm American, and I get no cool
>TV.  Isn't Comic Strip that Rik Mayall/Ade Edmonson show that was up a
>few years back?  Either way, can anyone tell me about Ken and the GLC?

The GLC was the Greater London Council, i.e. London County Council.

Its leader from c.1981 until its abolition by Thatcher's Tory government on
January 31 1986 was Ken Livingstone, now Labour MP for Brent East.

He was legendary as a hard left politician of whom there are very few in 1990s
UK politics.  Vilified by many and loved by just as many, he is one of the true
characters of British politics over the last 20 years!!

"GLC" the film by the Comic Strip has various British comedy actors playing the
parts of Hollywood stars trying to play characters from the GLC story. An
example (I believe) was Robbie Coltrane as Charles Bronson playing Ken L.
Thatcher was played by Jennifer Saunders (if I remember rightly - or was that
another Comic Strip film?)

Steve
--
University of Warwick English Cricketers' Union
The more you use it, the more lacklustre it gets