Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: what's the GLC?

From: btd@carina.cray.com (Bryan Dongray)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 00:09:20 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: what's the GLC?
To: deb@aswas.com (Debbie Levitt)
Cc: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

> I've been listening to the extra CD's from the This Woman's Work box
> set.  The 2nd song on the 2nd disc is called, "Ken," and the CD claims
> it's from a "Comic Strip" movie GLC.  I'm American, and I get no cool
> TV.  Isn't Comic Strip that Rik Mayall/Ade Edmonson show that was up a
> few years back?  Either way, can anyone tell me about Ken and the GLC?

Not being too political (in my head, nor on this group) the GLC stands
for the "Greater London Council" which used to exist and was "headed"
by Ken Livingstone, before the Maggie Thatcher Goverment got rid of
the idea of local governments. At the time I seem to remember Maggie
"had it in for" Ken, but maybe that was just the media. They painted
Ken to be a really nice guy, he seemed to be doing nice things for the
people and the city, but it could all be fabrication, newspapers like
to publish a good/bad story. The Comic Strip which consists of a group
of modern comedians (not sure on all of them, but there's about 5 or 6,
I'll guess at Rik and Ade - as you said, but also Dawn French, perhaps
also Jen Saunders, Robbie Coltraine, Hugh Laurie and Steven Fry, I've
missed someone or two), and they made a "Charles Bronson" parody of
the GLC vs Maggie incident.

Please someone correct my mistakes!

			Bryan Dongray