Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: New Home for Kate

From: btd@carina.cray.com (Bryan Dongray)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 00:26:52 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: New Home for Kate
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

> Where is Reading?  I wonder what a single gal
> shall do with such a large abode?  Perhaps,
> one day she will have a party and invite all of
> us who have loved her music for so long.

I can tell you where Reading is, about 40 miles due west of
central London. Population about 100,000 (a guess), sort of
around the area where many computer companies have located
in the UK, if a 40 mile area can be considered to be close.

Reading is famous for being where Brunell built a railway
station out of London on its way out west, as a result the
railway track is quite straight and the trains do a nice 125
miles per hour, in good comfort.

Many people who live in Reading, do so they can take the train
directly to London in a relatively quick time (daily). It has
the advantage of being relatively close to the countryside too,
depending on where you live (of course).

Peronsally I cannot see Kate living "in" Reading, it'll probably
be in one of the many small villages outside of Reading, which
mostly have the big houses and excellent surrounding countryside.

The quote mentioned her moving away from her family, with a 14
bedroom house (of which some will probably become part of her
studio/sound rooms - my guess), I could imagine that Paddy might
live somewhere nearby, to keep the flow of new instruments on
Kates albums.

I used to live in Camberley (about 14 miles SE of Reading), and with
the M25 on a good day you can get to North Kent (where I used to live
before Camberley, and my brother still does) in about an hour or so,
it's just 68 miles. So from Reading maybe 90 minutes to 2 hours (on a
bad day), not *really* that far away from her family. Maybe I've got
used to distances here in the USA (where I now live). I guess that
is far enough to not have them on the doorstep, but not too far to
visit for the weekend, and easy for birthdays, Christmas, etc.

			Bryan Dongray