Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Love-Hounds Digest #11.206

From: totoro@charm.net (Milky Way)
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 95 21:26 EDT
Subject: Love-Hounds Digest #11.206
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

In this digest:
                          Best Keyboardist Nomination
                                 Sat. Nite Live
                              Katedeprivation.....
                    Tori Amos Bootleg Discography on the Web
                               Re: Sat. Nite Live
                                 Beg To Differ

* To unsubscribe send a message containing your request to
  Love-Hounds-request@uunet.uu.net.  Messages sent to the
  list proper will be disregarded.

From: JAbusheery@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 14:26:33 -0400
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Best Keyboardist Nomination

This was not for a Grammy, but for which every award is voted on by other
musicians. (American Music Award? no that doesn't sound right)   I do
remember watching it because I read she was nominated and I was hoping they
would show a clip and they did of the "This Woman's Work" video, one of the
times she's just playing the piano and singing.  I think Elton John won it,
but that I can't remember.

-Jen

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 16:00:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Robert Caldwell (LIS)" <caldwell@luna.cas.usf.edu>
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Sat. Nite Live

Hi-
Speaking of the Kate Saturday Night Live appearance, I read somewhere
that her performance on the show was "controversial".  Anybody know why?

Thanks,
Rob C.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Aug 95 07:08:50 EST
From: <bretthar@BoM.GOV.AU> (Brett Harris)
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: Katedeprivation.....

Hi Katefans,

To return to a theme I touched upon a few months ago regarding Australia
being the only country in the Western world where EMI has seen fit
not to release the videos for TSW and TLTCTC....

why are we also the only country in the Western world to not have
Fruitopia on the market(of which I couldnt care less in itself), and
so no Kate ads...  hell even bloody New Zealand gets them!!

Feeling very paranoid...

Brett Harris
Bureau of Meteorology
Canberra AUSTRALIA

------------------------------

Newsgroups: rec.music.tori-amos,alt.music.ecto,rec.music.gaffa
From: fuzzbox@world.std.com (Void Angel)
Subject: Tori Amos Bootleg Discography on the Web
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 1995 03:42:23 GMT
Apparently-To: uunet!rec-music-gaffa

The Tori Amos Bootleg discography is up and running and now easily
accessible on the web! I keep it on my Tori home page, which is:

http://world.std.com/~fuzzbox/tori.html

It's available in either plain text form or netscape-enchanced form,
and there's also an index, that has the CDs in order chronologically,
alphabetically, by recording location, and cross-referenced...

Have fun and tell all your friends!

--
   Jason Bilsky   fuzzbox@world.std.com     +   Having a daith means never
http://world.std.com/~fuzzbox/fuzzbox.html  +   being able to wear earplugs

------------------------------

Posted-Date: 19 Aug 1995 07:37:43 -0400
Received-Date: Sat, 19 Aug 1995 07:37:45 -0400
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
From: jjh969@aol.com (JJH969)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Sat. Nite Live
Date: 19 Aug 1995 07:37:43 -0400
Sender: root@newsbf02.news.aol.com

I don't know about that performance specifically,
but anything that don't suck on American T.V.
might be considered "controversial".
JJH969@AOL.COM

------------------------------

To: rec-music-gaffa@agate.berkeley.edu
From: Buffalohead <nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Beg To Differ
Date: 19 Aug 1995 15:03:28 GMT

jjh969@aol.com (JJH969) wrote:

> I don't know about that performance specifically,
> but anything that don't suck on American T.V.
> might be considered "controversial".
> JJH969@AOL.COM

        There is plenty that's good about American TV, including our
production values, our in-depth dramas (E.R.) and our ribald comedies.
Musically, too, this is where it all began -- if not for Kate, or even
her mentors (Elton John and The Beatles), then for theirs.

        Sure I wish Kate could find a mainstream following here. But
if she doesn't, that hardly means that 'American talent/tastes/
media (ahem) 'suck.' Commercial success is a very complex undertaking
for any artist -- and Kate has simply had the bad fortune of releasing
the right song (RUTH), the right video (The Dreaming or The Sensual
World), backed by the right company (powerful Columbia) at completely
different times.

        The point is, generalizations like 'American T.V. sucks' and
'whoever accused us of having good taste' are sneakily offensive. In
the guise of self-deprecation, your comments seem innocuous enough,
but don't forget you are representing a lot of people -- many of whom
have the good taste to be on this newsgroup -- in an international
medium.

Robb

End of Love-Hounds Digest #11.206
Hiro Amano, totoro@charm.net
16 W. Hill Street,   Baltimore  MD 21230
voice 410-752-5748  fax 410-752-5850