Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Beg To Differ

From: Buffalohead <nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu>
Date: 19 Aug 1995 15:03:28 GMT
Subject: Beg To Differ
To: rec-music-gaffa@agate.berkeley.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

jjh969@aol.com (JJH969) wrote:

> I don't know about that performance specifically,
> but anything that don't suck on American T.V.
> might be considered "controversial".
> JJH969@AOL.COM

	There is plenty that's good about American TV, including our
production values, our in-depth dramas (E.R.) and our ribald comedies.
Musically, too, this is where it all began -- if not for Kate, or even
her mentors (Elton John and The Beatles), then for theirs.

	Sure I wish Kate could find a mainstream following here. But
if she doesn't, that hardly means that 'American talent/tastes/
media (ahem) 'suck.' Commercial success is a very complex undertaking
for any artist -- and Kate has simply had the bad fortune of releasing
the right song (RUTH), the right video (The Dreaming or The Sensual
World), backed by the right company (powerful Columbia) at completely
different times.

	The point is, generalizations like 'American T.V. sucks' and
'whoever accused us of having good taste' are sneakily offensive. In
the guise of self-deprecation, your comments seem innocuous enough,
but don't forget you are representing a lot of people -- many of whom
have the good taste to be on this newsgroup -- in an international
medium.

Robb