Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Beg To Differ

From: jjh969@aol.com (JJH969)
Date: 20 Aug 1995 04:02:54 -0400
Subject: Re: Beg To Differ
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: root@newsbf02.news.aol.com

Robb,
I apologize for that post, it was inappropriate, but I can't
completely agree with you either.  Now unfortunately I feel
compelled to respond to your follow-up. You say that
there is plenty that is good about American T.V.  I say that
such a small percentage of what comes over the airwaves is
anywhere near what we Americans are capable of, that it's a
national disgrace.  I grant you that American television has
demonstrated an ability to produce programming with incomparable
production values.  Shows like E.R. are an exception to the
rule. You mentioned our ribald comedies, one of the most
popular shows on television now is that show "Friends", but
if you have ever watched that show, you would find that 99.5 %
of the shows humor is entirely dependent on sexual innuendo.
Is that the best we can do ?  Musically ?  How long did David
Sanborn's show last ?  There was a show that didn't suck !
( I apologize again )  There was a show that was controversial !
That was a show that Kate would have fit into very nicely.
Where else could you tune in and find Elliott Sharp backing  up
Mavis Staples on "Take Me To The River" or find John Zorn
and David Sanborn wailing on "Cat-O-Nine Tails".  As far as
Kate finding a mainstream audience in this country is concerned,
I don't see it happening, an unfortunate truth.  As far as being
sneakily offensive, Hell, I really enjoy being overtly offensive.
I guess I shouldn't be railing against American television, It's just
a reflection of our culture.

I'm not normally this ornery, I guess I just channel surfed through
a few too many Geraldo's and Infomercials recently.

John ( JJH969@AOL.COM )