Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Resend : 9thwave.pdf (uses another decodingtype) - 9thwave.uue [01/15]

From: Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan <dmckiern@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 16:48:37 -0700
Subject: Re: Resend : 9thwave.pdf (uses another decodingtype) - 9thwave.uue [01/15]
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

On Mon, 17 Jul 1995, Steve VanDevender wrote:

> Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan <dmckiern@weber.ucsd.edu> ignorantly spouts:
>
>> Dennis Bergstrom wrote:
>>
>>> [in total 15 messages of binary junk *again*]
>
> It's not junk.  It's manchapuriata, but I've been able to figure out
> most or all of how to convert it back into the .pdf. (Got to dash
> and do some other stuff before I learn whether the job is done.)
>
>> Look, mate.  Will you stop posting binaries in here?  Upload to an
>> FTP site, by all means, or post them to a binaries group.  But refrain
>> from effectively mail-bombing the group.  Have a little consideration
>> for those that pay for their own news feed.
>
> This is really unkind.  Bergstrom is trying to make available
> something that most of us would like to have, and the attempt has
> clearly involved significant effort on his part.  If you =had= to
> slam him, couldn't you have done that with direct email?
>
> _I_ didn't want 1.4 megabytes of uuencoded and BASE64 data for a
> document I can't use coming into _my_ personal mailbox.

Right.  Now, tell me where I said that it was =appropriate= for him
to post the uuencodings.  Can't?  That's because I didn't.

> Apparently you are ignorant of the nature of
> rec.music.gaffa/Love-Hounds.

Nope.  I know what it is, and I know English, and I know logic.
You've fallen down somewhere with respect to the last two, and have
made an absurd inferential leap in your interpretation of my
remarks.

>                               rec.music.gaffa is not just a
> mailing list, it's a mail-news gateway.  So when this moron
> posted and REPOSTED that gigantic file, it meant that every
> mailing list subscriber got either a 1.4M digest or 1.4M of loose
> mail as a result.

He neither was nor is a moron.  You aren't a moron either, but you
certainly have a problem.

>                    This is unacceptable.  The people who didn't
> want that gigantic piece of junk shouldn't be forced to swallow
> it because thre are a few people who did,

No one said that they should.  Try again, or shut up.

>                                           and anyone who is
> ignorant enough to post binaries to a mail-news gateway deserves
> to be flamed into unconsciousness.

Bull____.  Everyone starts out ignorant.  He made a mistake in the
course of having invested a significant effort trying to be helpful.
The appropriate response was quick, firm, polite email -- not flames
to rec.music.gaffa.

          It's always Dark.  Light only hides the Darkness.

          Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan           (619) 535 - 0546
          athanatos@UCSD.edu   132.239.147.2    <75013,676>