Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Resend : 9thwave.pdf (uses another decodingtype) - 9thwave.uue [01/15]

From: mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se (Mikael Jakonen)
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 19:50:58 +0200
Subject: Re: Resend : 9thwave.pdf (uses another decodingtype) - 9thwave.uue [01/15]
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Cc: stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu

stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu (Steve VanDevender) writes:

>Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan <dmckiern@weber.ucsd.edu> ignorantly spouts:
>
>   > Dennis Bergstrom wrote:
>   >
>   >> [in total 15 messages of binary junk *again*]
>
>   It's not junk.  It's manchapuriata, but I've been able to figure out
>   most or all of how to convert it back into the .pdf. (Got to dash
>   and do some other stuff before I learn whether the job is done.)
>
>   > Look, mate.  Will you stop posting binaries in here?  Upload to an
>   > FTP site, by all means, or post them to a binaries group.  But refrain
>   > from effectively mail-bombing the group.  Have a little consideration
>   > for those that pay for their own news feed.
>
>   This is really unkind.  Bergstrom is trying to make available
>   something that most of us would like to have, and the attempt has
>   clearly involved significant effort on his part.  If you =had= to
>   slam him, couldn't you have done that with direct email?
>
>_I_ didn't want 1.4 megabytes of uuencoded and BASE64 data for a
>document I can't use coming into _my_ personal mailbox.
>
>Apparently you are ignorant of the nature of
>rec.music.gaffa/Love-Hounds.  rec.music.gaffa is not just a
>mailing list, it's a mail-news gateway.  So when this moron
>posted and REPOSTED that gigantic file, it meant that every
>mailing list subscriber got either a 1.4M digest or 1.4M of loose
>mail as a result.  This is unacceptable.  The people who didn't
>want that gigantic piece of junk shouldn't be forced to swallow
>it because thre are a few people who did, and anyone who is
>ignorant enough to post binaries to a mail-news gateway deserves
>to be flamed into unconsciousness.

It's even more ignorant not to await an excuse. Dennis did actually
ask to be forgiven for his somewhat mindless action. He is very
aware of what kind of misstake he did. No one is infallible, your
own posting is proof of that (bashing at people who tries to
point out the greater perspective). We should accept his apology in the
light of the fact that it was meant to enrich this news-group, and
try to work out a sollution instead.

I too have made a fool out of myself from time to time here, but
I'm trying to be considerate, at least to fellow Gaffans.
We have had enough of rabid-like flame-wars in the past.
Music is like vintage wine. It keeps getting better over the years,
if those who made it knew how to make it right...

Mikael Jakonen
                                            mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se
                                                   a94mikja@ida.his.se