Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate's Video CD

From: alec baker <alec@wessex.demon.co.uk>
Date: 11 Jun 1995 02:40:56 +0100
Subject: Re: Kate's Video CD
To: rec-music-gaffa@cis.ohio-state.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@dispatch.demon.co.uk

>So what's the scoop on this "highly successful Video CD"?
>I need it I want it I must have it.

Why? Video CD is a very low-fi system, with poor pictures and
(certainly in the case of TWS) poor, hissy sound.

Your best bet for the time being is to go for LaserDisc, which gives
me an excuse to post a quick guide to Kate's LD releases. It would
be much appreciated if anyone could fill in the gaps.

Live at Hammersmith Odeon:

UK: Was released in the early 80s as a LaserVision analogue sound disc.
    The picture is colourful but not particularly detailed, probably
    due to the original recording not being too wonderful. The sound
    is also reasonable, but not up to the standard of the CD release.
    The recording has been spread over both sides of the disc,
    although it would've fitted on one. The cover is superb, making
    full use of the LP size sleeve by re-formatting and expanding the
    various photos. This disc has been deleted for some years and is
    thus now quite rare.
US: No
Japan: Unknown
The Single File:

UK: Released in the mid 80s as a LaserVision analogue sound disc. A
    very sharp and clear picture and similarly excellent sound. The
    cover is very nice, with the 'blue leaf' effect spread all over.
    This is the rarest Kate disc, probably only one batch
    (500?) was ever produced. Unfortunately, my copy has a bad case
    of 'laser rot'..... such is life.
US: No
Japan: Unknown
The Hair of the Hound:

Never released on LD, as far as I know.
The Whole Story:

UK: 1st edition: Released in the late 80s as a LaserVision analogue
    sound disc. A sharp picture, but the sound quality was dreadful
    - a continuous hissing from the right hand channel. The cover is
    also poor, with the VHS-shaped cover slapped at a jaunty angle
    in the middle of the LP size sleeve. Now deleted.

    2nd edition: Released a couple of years after the above as one
    of the first UK digital sound LD's (then called CD video), as you
    would expect the sound is a great improvement on the above. The
    cover is also improved, although the front cover is still VHS-
    shaped, the back has no less than five little colour photos!
    The disc itself is a snazzy gold colour, and the Wuthering
    Heights video has the new vocal. Now deleted.
US: Has definitely been issued, although I've not seen it myself.
    I believe it's now deleted.
Japan: Unknown.
The Sensual World:

UK: Not released on disc.
US: A 20 minute version, released as a 20cm LD. Picture is reasonable,
    given that it's converted from PAL. The cover is nice, although
    it would be better without having "THE MUSIC DISC" written all
    over it. Now deleted(?).
Japan: The full 36 minute version, issued as a 30cm disc. I have this
    on order at the moment, so I'll post more info when it arrives.
The Whole Story 1993:

UK: Released in 1993 (stating the obvious?), picture and sound are
    excellent throughout. The cover is also very nice, breaking away
    from the VHS-look of its two predecessors. Wuthering Heights has
    the original vocals. Still available.
US: No
Japan: Unknown
The Line, the Cross and the Curve:

UK: Recently released, superb sound, picture, and cover make it well
    worth owning. What more can I say?
US: I believe it has been released, although it has not appeared on
    the lists of my usual US LD supplier. It would be interesting to
    know whether it's a conversion from PAL or whether it has been
    produced from the original film.
Japan: Unknown

alec; in havenpool, wessex
"Time and toast wait for no man" said Dougal