Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate's Video CD

From: J.W.Hartman@fys.ruu.nl (Jan Willem Hartman)
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 11:00:59 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate's Video CD
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@fys.ruu.nl (News system Tijgertje)

In <9506032314.aa19123@post.demon.co.uk> zpj@huskbeat.demon.co.uk (Steve ZPJ) writes:

>> > I have a copy of the Video CD concerned, however I don't have a MPEG player to
>> > view it, perhaps one day...
>>
>> I have it too, and also, amazingly, can't play it.  What it appears to
>> be is two CDs (not strictly CD-ROMs, as they are supposedly "White Book"
>> encoded) containing MPEG versions of the Whole Story videos.
>>
>> While I have an operable software MPEG player, my CD-ROM driver is
>> incapable of reading the tracks (NEC 3xi, Adaptec EZ-SCSI drivers);
>> whether I need new drivers, or a whole new drive, I don't know.
>>
>> If anyone nearby has a Phillips CD-I machine (which supposedly can
>> play White Book Video CDs), I'll happily bring the discs over!
>>
>> 		- Craig @ SCO near London.
>>
>> --------------------
>Me too, you need a Reelmagic card for the PC to make it White Book
>compatible, or an MPEG adapter for a 3DO or, as you say, a Phillips
>CDI machine. I am waiting for the 3DO's MPEG adapter because the
>Reelmagic isn't as good.
>  A friend working at a computer shop has offered to play it on the
>display computers for me someday, so as soon as he gets round to it
>I'll let everyone know what it's like. It's a pity that Kate hasn't
>released a CD-ROM as it seems to be the latest thing for music
>wizards to do. We can live in hope, I suppose.
>--
>Steve ZPJ

>-- Anyone who can stay sane in this world must be mad --

I have an MPEG card on my PC. I have bought the VideoCD. It's
brilliant. Full screen full motion video (30 fps)+ stereo 44 KHz
sound... and all on your desktop. (Fair to say though, that at full
screen the images are pixelated, just because the maximum resolution
for CDi-movies/VideoCD's are about 300x400 (more or less.. I haven't
counted the pixels..)).Amazing. If you have an MPEG card and
a CD player, this VideoCD is a must-have.

Some comments on the above: there are also other brands MPEG card,
not only RealMagic.. it will cost you about $400 I think.
VideoCD can usually not be played on a CDi player. You will need a
'video cartridge' to do that.

JanWillem