Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tori Amos

From: Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan <dmckiern@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 1995 19:05:30 -0700
Subject: Re: Tori Amos
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

On Sat, 3 Jun 1995, Michaela Heeb wrote:

> with - turned out to be a singer called Tori Amos.  I went and bought
> little earthquakes and was quite pleased.  She's no KB but she's pretty
> good.  Any thoughts?

Some people in this newsgroup bash Tori Amos as a Kate Bush
Wannabbe, but I don't think that that reaction is at all
appropriate.

First, I don't think that Amos =is= a Bush Wannabbe.  Surely she has
been =influenced= in some ways, but she's gone of in a very
different direction.

Second, the choices are pretty much non-rival, which is to say that
few people have to give up significantly on the one in order to
listen to the other.

I get =everything= but Amos that I can.  She has a habit of
releasing CDs singles such that the only way to get a recording of
everything is to buy stuff with a lot of overlap.  I'm not thrilled,
but I put up with it.

The most beautiful music video that I've ever seen is hers for
"Silent All These Years".  It is, however, a painful beauty.

What really bothers me about the Amos-bashers is that they proclaim
their loyalty to Bush in a way that would be so =alien= to her
evident philosophy.

          It's always Dark.  Light only hides the Darkness.

          Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan           (619) 535 - 0546
          athanatos@UCSD.edu   132.239.147.2    <75013,676>