Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Red Shoes

From: akmonday@uclink3.berkeley.edu (Anthony Kyle Monday)
Date: 5 Jun 1995 21:25:11 GMT
Subject: Re: The Red Shoes
To: rec-music-gaffa@agate.berkeley.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <2FD328E4@gate.ramstein.af.mil>, smithv@USAFE15.ramstein.af.mil
(Smith Van PRC) wrote:

> Whilst in San Francisco I went looking for KaTe Stuff.  Along
> the way I noticed a Laser Disc edition of the original movie
> "The Red Shoes", but it was exorbitantly expensive.  I had
> thought that this would be a film to not go in search of, but
> the LD looked fairly intriguing.  Should I have bought this
> (is this a worthwhile film) ?

Yes yes yes! Well, I assume this was a Criterion release, probably a
restored version (Scorcese has been working on restoring Michael Powell's
films as Powell is one of his favourite film makers, and Red Shoes is his
favourite film; I just saw the restored "A Matter Of Life And Death" and
it was gorgeous), so if you're into all the bonuses that Criterion put on
their LDs then I'd recommend it. However, it's probably about a hundred
dollars. The video tape can be had for about twenty or thirty. My
recommendation is to find a revival house that's showing it and see it in
a theatre.
Anyway, yes, it is an extremely worthwhile film, visually very stunning
and a powerful ending. One of my favourites.

         Anthony Kyle Monday           /
e-mail: akmonday@uclink3.berkeley.edu / "Jai un a^me solitare"