Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Red Shoes

From: Robb McCaffree <NSRJM@NURSEPO.MEDCTR.UCLA.EDU>
Date: 7 Jun 1995 02:40:24 GMT
Subject: Re: The Red Shoes
To: rec-music-gaffa@agate.berkeley.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

smithv@USAFE15.ramstein.af.mil (Smith Van PRC) wrote:

> Whilst in San Francisco I went looking for KaTe Stuff.  Along
> the way I noticed a Laser Disc edition of the original movie
> "The Red Shoes", but it was exorbitantly expensive.  I had
> thought that this would be a film to not go in search of, but
> the LD looked fairly intriguing.  Should I have bought this
> (is this a worthwhile film) ?
>
> Van

One man's treasure is another's trash, I guess, but I only semi-liked
this film which is more the story of a girl torn between her dance
career and her love of her boyfriend. The 'red shoes' appear in the
ballet within the film -- the familiar possessive footwear storyline
that Kate uses -- and these segments are quite colorful and visually
appealing. They echo the main storyline, which is rather overacted
and drab. I wouldn't plop down $100 for it...watch your TV guide (esp.
for American Movie Channel, TNT or some other 'old' movie network) and
eventually it will reappear.