Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: TWS vs. TSW

From: Robb McCaffree <NSRJM@NURSEPO.MEDCTR.UCLA.EDU>
Date: 20 May 1995 06:44:44 GMT
Subject: Re: TWS vs. TSW
To: rec-music-gaffa@agate.berkeley.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

anders.hultman@unisource.se (Anders Hultman) wrote:

> >"Look, Heathcliff, perhaps you should consult a
> >therapist about your moodiness."
> >- Cathy, in Wuthering Heights: The Next Generation
>
> *ROTFL*!!!!
>
> anders
> ------------------------------
> http://www.algonet.se/~anders/

	This little literary travesty reminded me of 'H,' a book
written maybe five years ago recounting the exploits of Heathcliff
during the two years he was absent from Wuthering Heights. Any one
else read this? I did. (In my defense, I bought it off a bargain rack
for about three bucks.)
	Among other things, Heathcliff met up with his moneyed father,
discovered the truth about his mother, and even surgically castrated
one of Edgar Linton's testicals (no kidding), threatening to "come
back" for the other.
	Another artistic response to WH I recently purchased is the CD
to "WH: The Musical," which gives the briefest of mentions to Kate in
its liner notes (but the title song is unfortunately, not hers). The
music is very listenable, but hearing Heathcliff and Cathy sing
some of these lyrics:

	H: You've been corrupted; you're not the same anymore
	C: You sound pathetic and you're becoming a bore; Please don't
	   interfere it's my affair; if you don't like it I don't care

smacks very much of "Heathcliff, get a therapist."
	BTW, what does ROTFL stand for? Running Off That Freaking
Lawn? Rodents Of The Fruitful Loins? How 'bout Robb Oughtta Take (a)
Flying Leap?  (I won't, y'know.)  ;-)

				-- Robb