Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Watching and Watching. . .

From: llovich@aol.com (Llovich)
Date: 19 May 1995 22:48:24 -0400
Subject: Re: Watching and Watching. . .
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: root@newsbf02.news.aol.com

In article <950515193723_119738280@aol.com> IEDSRI@aol.com writes:

   > This remarkable fact led IED to suppose
   > that Kate actually synchronized the chopped-up slivers of silence
   > in the forward-directional track with the chopped-up slivers
   > of *vocals* in a second, similar-but-not-identical *backward*-
   > directional track.  It was this process to which IED was
   > referring as a "sound-treatment known only to Kate". Certainly
   > it is the only such instance of which IED is aware.

OK, I'm scared to admit this in public (at least to the LoveHounds) but  I
have heard that "Gargling"  effect from "Watching You Without Me" used in
one other place (and at least a year before HoL):  on U.S. synth band
Berlin's first semi-hit single in 1984, "No More Words" (in the 12" mix
ONLY).

I'm not suggesting that Kate stole from Berlin; I honestly doubt she's
even ever heard the thing. But if YOU ever encounter it, you'll recognize
that same effect at once.

"Just saying it can even make it happen ...
    All I have to do is say it for you."
-- "Cloudbusting," K. Bush