Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Watching and Watching. . .

From: nessus@mit.edu (Douglas Alan)
Date: 19 May 1995 22:50:53 GMT
Subject: Re: Watching and Watching. . .
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <950515193723_119738280@aol.com> IEDSRI@aol.com writes:

   > This remarkable fact led IED to suppose
   > that Kate actually synchronized the chopped-up slivers of silence
   > in the forward-directional track with the chopped-up slivers
   > of *vocals* in a second, similar-but-not-identical *backward*-
   > directional track.  It was this process to which IED was
   > referring as a "sound-treatment known only to Kate". Certainly
   > it is the only such instance of which IED is aware.

While it is true that I too have not heard this treatment elsewhere,
it doesn't seem like it would be hard to do, though it would require a
bit of patience.  Just (1) record two different equal length bits of
singing or talking on audio tape.  (2) Lay the two bits of tape on a
table.  (3) Flip the second piece end to end, so that if you played
it, it would be backwards.  (4) Slice both pieces of tape at even
intervals with an X-acto knife.  (5) In both tape pieces discard
alternating little tape bits that you got from your slicing.  (6)
Place the bits from the second tape in order into the gaps in the
first piece.  (7) Splice all the little bits together into one new
piece of tape.

I am sure you can do this with less bother using most digital sound
editing systems, such as can be found on Macintosh computers.

|>oug

"When my father died, it was like a whole library burned to the
 ground."