Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate ? Untrained ?

From: Robb McCaffree <NSRJM@NURSEPO.MEDCTR.UCLA.EDU>
Date: 11 May 1995 03:02:13 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate ? Untrained ?
To: rec-music-gaffa@agate.berkeley.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

MRGHEESL@TWSUVM.UC.TWSU.EDU wrote:

> I remember a fellow Love-Hound's posting saying he prefers the original
> version of "Wuthering Heights" because of the "untrained" quaility of
> the original vocals. Well, I really hate to burst your bubble, but Kate
> was formally trained in vocals since she was a "wee lass."   I think
> what you are missing is the ten year gap in the vocal performances.  As
> everyone knows, your voice changes as you age.  And, it ALWAYS gets
> deeper.   So, the revised "Wuthering Heights", to me, shows a more
> mature Kate -- both physically and by experience.  I think she saw all the flaw
> s the original had and fixed them to better effect.
>
> Roman,  Flatland USA

Flaws? Kate? See now, I must differ. While the vocals on the "new" WH
are grand, the simpler, more childlike wail on the original better
fits the context of the song in which Cathy returns as a ghost-child.
But I must admit, I'd like to see what Kate could do with the song now
that she's more production-capable. Perhaps the instrumentation would
change completely -- and we'd hear something more along the lines of
Moments of Pleasure or Song of Solomon.