Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Gaffa Tape?

From: anders.hultman@unisource.se (Anders Hultman)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 08:43:24 +0200
Subject: Re: Gaffa Tape?
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

nvbaren@bio.vu.nl (Nico van Baren) wrote:

>'Gabriel and Robinson agreed to meet to see of there was any common ground
>for a joint concert. Robinson took the train to Bath. "This very shy
>individual met me at the station in his car and drove me through the
>streets of Bath, off to the little cottage where he lived at the time. I
>was very struck by a children's swing which was in the garden, which was
>stuck together by gaffa tape. Gaffa is used by roadies to stick everything
>together on stage, it was nice to see it extended to the children's swing
>as well."'
>
>Well, what does this prove? As far as I can see, nothing whatsoever. It
>proves that at least one author used the spelling "gaffa" (without
>capitalisation), as opposed to "gaffer's" referring to the tape. However,
>since Spencer Bright shows himself in this same book to be very sympathetic
>towards KaTe, it is quite possible that he got his spelling from the song,
>interpreting KaTe's song as referring to the tape.

As I've said before, here in Sweden, people in the stage performance and
broadcasting businesses generally refer to broad silver or grey wowen tape
as gaffa tape. The spelling "gaffer's tape" I have only seen here on
rec.music.gaffa. Well, I haven't actually seen it spelled as "gaffa"
either, but everyone pronounce it as "gaffa", and in Swedish there is quite
a big difference between "-a" and "-er's".

anders