Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love Hounds collection

From: Ulrich Grepel <uli@zoodle.robin.de>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 95 22:35:40 +0100
Subject: Re: Love Hounds collection
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Hi!

John asks:
> 2 questions:
> 1)   who is the bass player in the "Rocket Man" video?

Isn't that Del himself?

> 2)  Kate seems to have a knack for working with strong bassists.  Del and
> Eberhard Weber are extremely talented musicians,  and Kate's recordings
> always have outstanding fretless bass work.  Imagine my surprise upon
> seeing the live HoL video          from the Secret Policeman's Ball, to
> see Tony Franklin (at least he looked and played like Tony Franklin) on
> stage playing          with Kate! (For those of you who don't know, Tony
> played bass with the Firm and is an outstanding fretless player as well.)
>           Was that indeed Tony Franklin, and how did he get so lucky?
> Who were the other members of Kate's band for that particular
> performance?  And finally, why is Kate into the bass so much (or is this
> possibly Del's influence)?

Don't know about Tony Franklin, but the most famous musician in Kate's backing
band at the Secret Policeman's Third Ball was Dave Gilmour from Pink Floyd.
The guy who discovered Kate. Or rather the guy Kate chose to be discovered by ;-).

> The live HoL gave me just enough of a taste of what Kate could do live
> that I am now extremely rabid for a tour, which I know won't happen, but
> what if it did?

Loads of people would enter some planes to get to the location(s) of the
concert(s)...

Ciao,

Uli

--
"Ein 32-Bit-Betriebssystem fuer uns?" - "Wozu? Wir haben doch zwei mit 16."
[IBM ad promoting OS/2]