Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Str8 K8

From: Jon Drukman <jsd@ramona.cyborganic.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 14:58:59 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Str8 K8
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Faith wrote:

>Well, after playing around some more, I re-mixed some of her
>songs and did a reverse on the backwards recording at the end
>of "Leave It Open".  It was still hard to hear the words, as
>her voice has been through several machines, but I think she's
>saying

>We sit there,
>though what we hear.

>Can anyone confirm/straighten me out on this?

the actual explanation has been advanced many times.  here it is
again...

the intended text is "we let the weirdness in."  that's what you hear
when the song plays normally.  now, it sounds completely tweaked out
because kate listened to that line played backwards, and then
attempted to sing the backwards sounds she heard.  of course it is
totally impossible for the human mouth to produce the exact same
sounds, so when you take this approximation and run THAT backwards,
you get the forwards message "we let the weirdness in", only it sounds
really odd.

try it yourself.  listen to "we let the weirdness in" backwards and
sing what you're hearing into your computer.  now play that piece of
audio in reverse.  you're suddenly saying "we let the weirdness in"
only it doesn't sound quite right.

completely awesome technique.

Name:  Jon
Email: jsd@cyborganic.com