Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Str8 K8-->Letting The Madness In

From: NelsonII@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 17:02:58 -0500
Subject: Str8 K8-->Letting The Madness In
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Cc: NelsonII@aol.com

While Faith - Mary Helen played around with her new computer...

>Well, after playing around some more, I re-mixed some of her
>songs and did a reverse on the backwards recording at the end
>of "Leave It Open".  It was still hard to hear the words, as
>her voice has been through several machines, but I think she's
>saying
>
>We sit there,
>though what we hear.

Hmmm, this reminds me of when I tried to decipher that line from R.E.M.'s "The
 Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight."  In the past I've tried to figure out what Kate
was up to, but to no avail.  However, Mary Helen has prompted me to begin my
work anew.  (After all, my grail studies have come to a standstill. ;-))

Anyway, I sampled it (purists: from the Japanese TWW CD) and ran through it a
couple of times (okay, 50+).  At first I thought: "Wow!  It's 'They said that
were {???} {???} very {???}'"  Okay, I thought.  Let's try listening to the
individual words.  My mistake!  I got even more confused!  "They" turned into
"her lace(?)" (I tried to account for her accent).  Some of the other words
("said") seemed to stay much the same.

To confuse things further, the two channels are slightly different
(wow--stereo!), with the right having some electro-warble-like (<-technical
term) sounds.  Jeez!  Kate sure makes it hard to find the hidden meanings in
her work. ;-)  I can only come to the conclusion that she recorded "we let
the madness in," played it backwards, found words/sounds that sounded like
the backward version, recorded that, reversed it, and presto-chango--you're
done!  Try it at home, it's loads of fun for the whole family!

-Ron "let's get some more conspiracy theories going"
 NelsonII@aol.com