Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The washboard sound in ETM

From: totoro@charm.net (Milky Way)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 22:07:22 -0500
Subject: Re: The washboard sound in ETM
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

RIDLEY@ZASU.SPRL.UMICH.EDU writes:
>Is the washboard sound in Eat the Music supposed to be as annoying as it is?
>I used to have some Jenson $50 speakers and this song sounded pretty good,
>but I have since upgraded to a pair of Mini Advents. These speakers make
>each frequency distinguishable from the rest, so the wash board sound sticks
>out A LOT. I can barely listen to the song anymore.
>
>Is this a matter of just an instument that I can't stand, bad sound mixing,
>or what? I'm sick with this....
>
>Aaron

It does seem to be a matter of an instrument you can't stand.  The
"washboard" sound is the valiha, a Madagascan instrument that looks like a
bamboo tube with strings on it.  (If you have the Microsoft Musical
Instruments CD-rom, there is a picture of it, and a demo of the sound.)

Lesley

Hiroshi  & Lesley Amano
16 W. Hill St.    Baltimore, MD 21230
voice 410-752-5748,  fax 410-752-5850