Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Infant Kiss

From: celemon@email.unc.edu (Angela Reid)
Date: 5 Mar 1995 19:22:40 GMT
Subject: Infant Kiss
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I've been researching Victorian sexuality lately for a class, and I have
been wondering about this song.  Does anybody know Kate's story behind
it?  I'm struck by a thematic similarity to Henry James' "Turn of the
Screw," where the governess has a very erotically charged relationship
with her young male ward (even comparing their feelings to those of
newlyweds in the final scene).  Knowing Kate's proclivity for writing
songs related to books, I wondered if there was any connection.

Angela