Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Can anyone define

From: Anders Hultman <anders.hultman@unisource.se>
Date: 27 Feb 1995 14:53:58 GMT
Subject: Re: Can anyone define
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (Chris Williams) wrote:

> >I'm a new user so forgive me if Gaffa has already been defined, however,
> >I've searched for this definition for years without success.  I've always
> >considered myself "Suspended in Gaffa", but only because I don't know
> >what that means.  J. Dray
>
>    Hey, it's been more than a year, so here goes! *MY* definition of
> gaffa is...

If you ask any Swedish broadcasting or stage engineer what they think of
when they hear the word gaffa, they'll say tape, the broad, silvery tape.
Some will say that any broad tape could be called gaffa tape, some will
claim that gaffa is a brand name for a very special type of tape, generally
unavailable in Sweden.

A year ago I worked in a studio where the chief engineer had the reputation
of fixing every broke piece of machinery by "tying it together with gaffa
tape" to quote one of my colleauges (who never have heard of neither
rec.music.gaffa, Suspended In Gaffa nor the Internet).

anders