Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Walk Straight Down..."- big mistake.

From: st56t@Jane.UH.EDU
Date: 26 Jan 1995 00:31:26 GMT
Subject: Re: "Walk Straight Down..."- big mistake.
To: rec-music-gaffa@Ames.ARC.NASA.GOV
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <3g6i5q$oki@nntp1.u.washington.edu>, desslok@u.washington.edu (Marc Odo) writes:
>I was listening to _Sensual_World_ last night, and it really bugged me
>how the cd version ends with "Walk Straight Down The Middle."  I think
>this is a rather weak song, and a horrible way to end the album.  This is
>only amplified by the fact that "This Woman's Work" is an ideal song to
>end the album, like on the vinyl.  Works much better that way, if you ask me.
>
>So what does this mean?  Am I crazy or does anyone else feel the same way?
>
>-Marc
>desslok@u.washington.edu

I wouldn't call you exactly CRAZY, Marc, but I disagree with you.  I
think that "This Woman's Work" and "Walk Straight Down The Middle"
are equally strong closers in very different ways.  "This Woman's Work"
is one of the most touching things I've ever heard, and I agree with
you that it makes an extremely poignant and effective ending.  However,
in light of the recent discussions on "Get Out Of My House", "Walk
Straight Down The Middle"'s extraordinary vocal coda functions much
the same way as the braying-morphing.  In addition, the lyrics to
"Walk Straight Down The Middle" have always meant a great deal to me,
as I have a tendency to lose my focus when difficult times come,
letting stress carry me to extremes.

Perhaps you might consider "Walk Straight Down" as an epilogue.
The "real" ending comes with "This Woman's Work", and then "Walk
Straight Down" is there as a closing dedication.  Then again, you
may just not like it, and that's OK by me.

Incidentally, I think this is my first post to r.m.g.  Hello, everyone!
May Kate's music (and, therefore, the discussion of it) give
us all *TRANQUILITY* and *CALM* for a long time.

Take care.

Dolph Chaney
st56t@jetson.uh.edu