Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"Under the Ivy" Deconstructed...

From: ac506@lafn.org (Lisa Morton)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 22:53:34 GMT
Subject: "Under the Ivy" Deconstructed...
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@lafn.org

Recently I've been puzzling over the content of "Under the Ivy".
I seem to recall a quote in "THE GARDEN" where Kate, after being
unusually evasive regarding the meaning of the song, offers up something
to the effect of "...it may be about two people leaving a party to
make love."  Now I've been trying to get this out of the song, and
finally realized that this is hopeless.  It seems plain to me that
the song is about an adult desperately trying to regain the innocence
of safety, the childhood sense that everything is or will be fine.
Do artists such as Kate Bush deliberately attempt to obfuscate meaning
of their work?  I think the answer instead is that perhaps even she
doesn't know the real meaning - or, perhaps, that unconsciously she
knows it and doesn't want to deal with it.

Argument?  Speculation?

Lisa