Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: What happened to the WWW site? ... story told

From: Ulrich Grepel <uli@zoodle.robin.de>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 95 23:20:39 +0100
Subject: Re: What happened to the WWW site? ... story told
To: Richard J Frost <rjf@adl.dmt.csiro.au>
cc: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

Hi!

> Well, I used to run the Experiment IV web page. :(

:-(

> Since then I have talked with Uli Grepel, who also intends on
> starting up his own Kate Bush Web site.
>
> I suggested to him that we should minimise any overlap of work by
> jointly constructing Web pages. Uli agreed with this.

Yep. I still want to do this, though some hardware requirements
have to be fulfilled on my side first, or else I couldn't do a
decent job maintaining it. Which hardware requirements? easy:

- a new harddisk for my own computer (2 Gig or so...)
- a minimal PC (286/386, 1-4 MB RAM, no HD) acting as a router between
  my primary computer (NeXT) and an ISDN line
- that ISDN line itself

I would principally be able to do the WWW thing with SLIP/PPP, but
since it's a major configuration thing and since I want to do the
ISDN stuff anyway and since my time is (very) limited I don't want to do
it twice.

As soon as these hardware requirements are met (should be around April
then), I could give one or two of my current harddiscs (400 and 500 MB)
kind of away to be put into a computer that currently already is
connected via a permanent ISDN line and whose owner already said 'yes'
to this. That way, these 400, 500 or even 900 MB could act not only
as a place for a WWW server, but also as a place for an ftp server
where I can put as much KaTe-stuff on it as I want (and as fits onto
it). Assuming that *you* (i.e. all the love-hounders) aren't going
to kill the leased ISDN line...

> Scott, if you are interested in providing support, Uli and I would
> really appreciate any extra help we can get.

I guess we three wouldn't be the only ones.

> I suggest love-hounds mail me any comments on what they would
> like to see in the new web pages.

- a cleaned-up version of the ftp.uu.net archives
- FAQ (which would be more current than the one in the newsgroups,
  since I'd upload it everytime there's a change in it)
- discography (as soon as it's ready, sigh...), including making
  heavy use of html. Cross-links to song index, video index,
  song lyrics & credits, reviews, short: everything...

This ever-ongoing project could finalise on a CD-ROM of course.

> I also suggest that some sites provide anonymous FTP for Kate
> images. Ideally one site per country to minimise delays.
> These sites will be referred to using links in the Web pages.

See above, what's used for WWW should be available directly via
FTP as well.

> Uli, you might want to follow up my posting with your views
> on what you want to see in a Kate Web Site.

Done so.

> 		 PLEASE REMOVE ALL LINKS TO
>
>   	   http://www.jrc.flinders.edu.au/ExpIV/

Done so.

Bye,

Uli

--
"Ein 32-Bit-Betriebssystem fuer uns?" - "Wozu? Wir haben doch zwei mit 16."
[IBM ad promoting OS/2]