Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Maliciousness in Love-Hounds

From: Ulrich Grepel <uli@zoodle.robin.de>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 95 00:35:15 +0100
Subject: Re: Maliciousness in Love-Hounds
To: Ronald.Girardin@dartmouth.edu (Ronald Girardin)
cc: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Hi Ronald!

you wrote on gaffa:
> I've been monitoring this newsgroup since I first heard of it 2 years
> ago... Even though I've been a fan of Kate's music since 1978, I had alot of
> questions about Kate and her music.  I remember posting several times asking
> some of those questions...only to be COMPLETELY ignored by the "family".  Of
> course, the "family" members were discussing whatever..and probably everyone
> though that someone else would answer...That wasn't the case.  I was pretty
> left on my own to try and find the answers to my questions by reading
> "THE GARDEN" and "CLOUDBUSTING" documents (both excellent, BTW)

Sometimes, yes, it really happens that 'we' don't know the answer. Or don't
remember that we should know it. For example there's still an unanswered
question, sitting on the very top end of my mailbox, posted the second
time on August 5th 1994, about differences between the song versions on the
7" singles contained in The Singles File boxed set and on the various singles
themselves. Andrew Russ said he thinks there are differences, asked twice
if we think he was right, and I did write him after the second time that
I don't know and admittedly are a bit reluctant to verify. Playing vinyl
somehow damages it. Quite a lot of the Kate vinyl I own is still virgin
vinyl and will stay so as long as possible. I might play my copy of The
Single File exactly once: on a very expensive turntable to record them
onto a DAT tape. That's it. Sorry guys. I bought it 'used', but it still
looks like new. I don't know whether it is virgin vinyl, but it looks like
it is, and my turntable might damage it.

This now got into a completely different subject, back to the original one...

> So now, If I do see a post from a newbie, I try to answer...i can't answer to
> ALL of the questions (most of the "family" know WAY MORE than i do) but at
> least I try.

Same here.

> ....this is why I feel the Lovehounds are a hard to penetrate.  It seems that
> more often than not, the newbie are ignored.   I feel that it's the DUTY of
> the "family" to inform all of us about Kate and her music....regardless of
> how many times someone may ask the same question...

No, I try not to ignore newbies. If someone does ask a FAQ, then there are
three possibilities how I do react:

1st: has an answer be posted already? (then there's no problem)
2nd: is it about a week or less to the next FAQ posting period? (then I do nothing,
     assuming that someone who DOES have a question and who DOES see an FAQ indeed
     DOES check whether the question is answered in the FAQ.)
3rd: it's more than about a week to the next FAQ posting, then I do answer the
     question, offering to send the complete FAQ as well.

Of course it may happen that I don't have enough time to read my email.
Unfortunately this happens more and more often, and in such cases I probably
won't answer easy questions, for I hope that someone else did answer it within
the week I needed to get to the question on first hand.

> ie.   question: "When is she going to tour ?"
>  ....may I.....
>       answer: "Probably never.  She hasn't toured since 1979.  She has
>                made a few "guest" appearances here and there.  You may
>                want to check out the bootleg CD "This Woman's Live Work".
>                A single CD pretty much covers ALL of her live appearances
>                from 1978 to 1987 excluding her own tour in 1979."
>
> ...um...was that a decent answer?....;-)

Yes, it was. Since this is even an FAQ I might just cite the FAQ instead
of inventing something new every time, together with an offer to send the
whole FAQ.

> What we need is a new album!...Mmmmmmmmmm YES!!!!!....that'll get all of us
> back on track!

You're right! And [am I the first to 'predict' that?] this time we might even
be luckier than almost ever before: Between The Dreaming and Hounds of Love
was a three years break, one year of which Kate built her own studio. Between
Hounds of Love and The Sensual World was a 1+3 years break, first there was
The Whole Story, and second there was a H*U*G*E amount of promotional work,
including the promo work for The Whole Story itself, which might add up to
*at least* one year, if not more. And there've been quite a lot of guest
appearances and session works. Between The Sensual World and The Red Shoes
there also was a 4 years break, during which, besides The Red Shoes, a lot
of other things happened: a good amount of promotional work as well (at
least close to a year), Hannah's death, and last but not least, The Line,
The Cross & The Curve. Between The Red Shoes and the next album, there's
almost no promotional work, no film (yet), no anything (yet), so Kate *might*
(pure rumour here) already be working on the next album since about a year or
so. Which leaves about 1 1/2 years to go... ;-) (I think to remember that both,
TSW and TRS, in fact needed about 2 1/2 years of recording time, which does
more or less fit into the above scheme.)

On the other hand: TKI->LH = 0 years, LH->Tour = 1 year, Tour->NfE = 1 year,
NfE->TD = 2 years, TD->HoL = 3 years, HoL->TSW = 4 years, TSW->TRS = 4 years.
Again: 0[, 1], 1, 2, 3, 4, 4. Looks like it might be continued with a 3 again,
resulting in 0, Tour, 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 3, 2, 1, TOUR #2, 0. This would mean we'd
get albums in '97, '99, a tour in '00, and two albums in '01...

Just dreaming,

Uli

--
"Ein 32-Bit-Betriebssystem fuer uns?" - "Wozu? Wir haben doch zwei mit 16."
[IBM ad promoting OS/2]