Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Single File version differences (was: Re: Maliciousness in Love-Hounds)

From: Ronald.Girardin@dartmouth.edu (Ronald Girardin)
Date: 23 Jan 1995 14:35:09 GMT
Subject: The Single File version differences (was: Re: Maliciousness in Love-Hounds)
To: rec-music-gaffa@rutgers.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <m0rWBoT-000ACSC@zoodle.robin.de>
uli@zoodle.robin.de (Ulrich Grepel) writes:

>  For example there's still an unanswered
> question, sitting on the very top end of my mailbox, posted the second
> time on August 5th 1994, about differences between the song versions on the
> 7" singles contained in The Singles File boxed set and on the various singles
> themselves. Andrew Russ said he thinks there are differences, asked twice
> if we think he was right, and I did write him after the second time that
> I don't know and admittedly are a bit reluctant to verify. Playing vinyl
> somehow damages it. Quite a lot of the Kate vinyl I own is still virgin
> vinyl and will stay so as long as possible. I might play my copy of The
> Single File exactly once: on a very expensive turntable to record them
> onto a DAT tape. That's it. Sorry guys. I bought it 'used', but it still
> looks like new. I don't know whether it is virgin vinyl, but it looks like
> it is, and my turntable might damage it.

Hi Uli...and all in Gaffaland!

Um...I received the Single File boxed set for Cnristmas (a numbered
edition)
and it seems to me that the singles in the boxed set are indeed the
same as
the previously issued singles (musically, that is).  There are some
minor
differences in the picture sleeves tho  (very minor).   However,
perhaps the
original post was referring to the fact that maybe the versions on the
singles (boxed set or seperate) were different than what is found on
the
albums.   And there ARE some differences.  For example:
   1.  Sat in your Lap is from a earlier mix than what is found on the
album.
       the album version has more "whips' and the hard driving drum
beat is
       muixed further down than on the single.
   2.  the Man With The Child In His Eyes has the "he's here..." at the

       beginning.  (just like the video)
   3.  Ne t'Enfuis Pas is also an earlier mix.  the vocals are
completely
       different.
   4.  i think the song Army Dreamers does not fade out as on the
album...but
       i don't remember.

All of this info can be found in the "Collector's Guide" book.

Are there any other differences between single versions and album
versions
out there?

peace

ron