Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Bootlegs

From: father bungholio <woj@remus.rutgers.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 23:31:38 -0500
Subject: Re: Bootlegs
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

RHYS <R.Jones@mirinz.org.nz> sez:
>1. On the boot CD 'Butterfly Kisses' (Scorpio label), who does the Do-Bears
>duo with Kate?

that's rowan atkinson. the american accent is faked.

>2. I understand 'If You Could See Me Fly" (Chapter One label) has a twin
>called 'Passing through air"? Where can I buy this CD from ????

check out record swap meets, record stores where they sell recordings
of questionable legality and the such. you're best bet may be to pick
up a copy of goldmine magazine and peruse the listings there in.

i haven't seen a copy of _passing through air_ in a long while - i
suspect that it's out of print now (such as "out of print" applies to
bootleg recordings).

>3. Can anyone tell me about 'Shubberies' (CD)? I've seen it for sale by
>mail order but would like to know about content and quality before going
>for it.

_shrubberies_ is supposed to be yet another recording of the cathy
demos. if you have the two cds you asked about in #2, you've got all
that is on this disc. if you're unable to find _passing through air_,
_shurbberies_ should complete the cathy demos for you, though you will
be missing the _the kick inside_ demos that make up the second half of
_passing through air_. the quality of the _shrubberies_ is pretty much
the same of the other cathy demo recordings: fairly poor (this should
not surprise as KaTe recorded them directly to cassette). however,
they are listenable and priceless windows into the genesis of KaTe's
voice and musicianship.

>Finally, for someone like me interested in collecting different songs sung
>by Kate (as opposed to Kate singing the same songs at different venues eg
>Tour of Life stuff in various packages) what are the essential CDs to get
>hold of, and if known, where to get them?

the cathy demos are available in many forms. of all the discs that they
are bootlegged on, i'd recommend _passing through air_ and _if you
could see me fly_ as this set also includes the _tki_ demos which don't
appear elsewhere on disc. _butterfly kisses_ and _this woman's live
work_ are nice collections of oddities from tv, radio and whatnot.
_angels on earth_ is the only cd bootleg of the bbc special from 1978
(which is partially lipsynced and partly live). there are numerous
knockoffs of the hammersmith video but since there is an official
release thereof now, go with that.
--
_O_ woj@remus.rutgers.edu