Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-42 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: This 'n' That

From: Anders Hultman <anders.hultman@unisource.se>
Date: 21 Dec 1994 16:23:26 GMT
Subject: Re: This 'n' That
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams) wrote:
 (Regarding the video for Don't give up)
>    Actually there were two videos, and both of them are included on the
> Peter Gabrial video collection "CV." The first, directed by the
> completely brillant team of Godley and Creme. It features a single
> shot of Peter and Kate hugging each other. The camera zooms in on their
> faces and then pulls back. The transitions from Kate's face to Peter's
> are done by rotating the platform they are standing on. Well, Peter
> is standing on the platform; Kate is standing on a well-hidden box
> on the platform. It is amazingly simple and wonderful.

And, don't forget to mention, while they are standing there hugging and
rotating, a total solar eclipse goes on behind them. Very beautiful.
I've been a sucker for solar eclipses since I saw one in Finland 1990.
I will try to see the next one that is affordably near me (1999).

>                                                        The record
> weasles, with the collective attention span of a hummingbird on
> methedrene, didn't get it and ordered a second video from Matt Maherne
> (or a diciple of his) that looks like outtakes from Fleetwod Mac's
> "Gypsy."

Actually, there are a couple of other one-shot/no edits-videos around.
U2 has done one, and the totally brilliant Unfinished Sympathy by Massive
Attack is also done in just one shot (a steadycam run).

anders