Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-42 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Steely Dan?!?

From: Fiona McQuarrie <fmcquarr@upei.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 1994 14:42:17 -0400 (AST)
Subject: Steely Dan?!?
To: "Kate (list) Bush" <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>

Re Chris' comment that Why Should I Love You sounds kinda like Steely Dan:

Well, I know that Kate likes Steely Dan, and I do too, but I really can't
hear this one. Lenny Henry might be singing kind of like Michael McDonald,
but he doesn't sound half as cynical or snarly as Donald Fagen (the
qualities that make me love Donald Fagen). My take on it would be that
Kate's affinity for Steely Dan would be their earlier stuff, up to and
including Pretzel Logic. That music reflects the same kind of weirdness
and experimentation that Kate excels at....I would hope, that if she was
going to pay tribute to Steely Dan, that she would choose some other song
than the LA studio musician pseudo-jazz goop that is 'Peg'.

Bring back the Boston Rag,
Fiona