Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-42 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: She knew exactly what to do

From: Anders Hultman <anders.hultman@unisource.se>
Date: 21 Dec 1994 15:26:43 GMT
Subject: Re: She knew exactly what to do
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

"Stuart M. Castergine" <scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us> wrote:
> Another discussion quetsion. What does everyone think happens at the end
> of Babooshka?
>
> Kate leaves the ending open to question.
>
> Her lines at the beginning of the song "She couldn't have made a worse
> move." give a foreboding feeling, as if something bad is going to come of
> this.
>
> But that isn't clear at the end.
>
> Our last view is of the man giving himself to what he thinks is a
> mistress, "I'm all yours, Babooshka" not knowing it is really his wife.
> The ironic part is that everything he finds attractive in the mistress is
> what reminds him of his wife. Of course, the wife doesn't know that.
>
> I think the breaking glass noises are important, but they can be
> interpreted in a couple different ways.

I have always thought of it as that they -- the couple -- "break the
mirrors"; that they see their real selves without disguises. I have
borrowed this interpretation from a backannouncement made after the
song was played on Swedish national radio once in about 1986. The radio
presenter said someting along the lines of "it is never too late to break
the mirrors, it is never too late for love".

This interpretation is somewhat vauge and fuzzy, but is supported by
the video; she lifts her veil, the mirrors break, and they all se
everything clearly.

This is an interesting topic. Keep posting!

anders