Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-42 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

She knew exactly what to do

From: "Stuart M. Castergine" <scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 1994 08:03:46 -0500 (EST)
Subject: She knew exactly what to do
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

Another discussion quetsion. What does everyone think happens at the end
of Babooshka?

Kate leaves the ending open to question.

Her lines at the beginning of the song "She couldn't have made a worse
move." give a foreboding feeling, as if something bad is going to come of
this.

But that isn't clear at the end.

Our last view is of the man giving himself to what he thinks is a
mistress, "I'm all yours, Babooshka" not knowing it is really his wife.
The ironic part is that everything he finds attractive in the mistress is
what reminds him of his wife. Of course, the wife doesn't know that.

I think the breaking glass noises are important, but they can be
interpreted in a couple different ways.

The Russion flavor of the title and the fact the the breacking noises
usualy occur in pairs makes me think of two lovers toasting each other and
throwing their glasses in the fire.

But the foreboding intro to the song makes me think the breaking glass
might symbolize violence, or broken lives or broken hearts, a broken
relationship.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us == Stuart M. Castergine   |              ---
All young gentle dreams drowning                     | "Mmm, yes."   |/
In life's grief                                      |               |\
Can you hang on to me? --Kate Bush, _Big Stripey Lie_|