Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Advanced music processing (NOT)

From: allen_watson@quickmail.apple.com (Allen Watson III)
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 1994 00:32:24 GMT
Subject: Re: Advanced music processing (NOT)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@gallant.apple.com

In article <9412171213.AA16503@mhost.ida.his.se>, a94mikja@ida.his.se
(Mikael Jakonen) wrote:

>  allen_watson@quickmail.apple.com (Allen Watson III) writes:
>
> >You can hear what that sounds like without cutting any wires, if you have a
> >surround-sound system.  Just turn the front speakers all the way down and
> >listen to the surround speakers.
> >

> I knew all that already. It was a topic here a while ago. (I don't have the
> original posting, so I can't give you a date for it...) I didn't intend to
> look ignorant about the subject, I just wanted to know if anyone had tried it.

Sure, every time I stick my ear next to one of my surround speakers to see
whether it's working.  8^)

> When you cut the ground wire in the phones, you'll get a mono sound.
> The surround system produce a stereo sound. (I believe so. I've actually
> never heared (as far as I know) a surround system)

Dolby surround (along with other matrix systems) produces a single back
channel that goes to both "surround" speakers, in-phase in some systems,
out in others.  I think the new multi-channel surround that has been
proposed for laser discs has separate left and right surround signals.

Enjoy!
- Allen
|   "Get the bow going,       |
|    Let it scream to me!"    |