Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

This 'n' That

From: steve.b@TQS.COM (Steve Berlin)
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 94 17:48:26 PST
Subject: This 'n' That
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Hi -

OK, a few topics running right now, so I might as well hit them
all and get it over with:

1) The Official Lovehounds Shirt - Thanks for all your kind words,
folks!  It's pretty hard to make blush, especially over a CRT.
But let's thank all those folks who made it possible:

Mary Helen, of course - It was a bit touch'n'go there for awhile,
but she came through with flying colors!

Wayne - the guy who did a marvelous job of scanning the artwork in,
especially the note in back (which came from two seperate sources,
but it's all Kate's handwriting, so it's legit.)

|>oug, for not only Bringing Us Together, but for also giving me
the wonderful note in the first place and making the shirt from
a mere "something good" to "Wow!"

OK, I'll take credit for putting the who flurshlurgner thing
together, as well as the one who started Rolling the Ball,  but I was just
one piece of the puzzle.

2) If any of you who just came in are wondering "How can I get a
shirt", last I heard M-H had a small handful left over, but I'm not
sure what size or anything.  If she doesn't post something, I'll
post more info later (assuming *I* can get a hold of her).

Or you can spend a couple of more bucks and get one from Intergalactic
Garage.  EMail IGG@his.com for more details.  DON'T tell 'em I sent
ya.

3)  Y should I love U?  I have for years valliently fought Kate-bashers.
When The Sensual World came out, there were tons of weenies who called
themselves "Kate Fans" when they actually meant "I like 'Hounds of
Love' and 'The Dreaming'."  Then there was the tea-and-crumpet set
who hasn't liked anything she's done since 'Never For Ever'.  Well,
I say FEH!  It's a WONDERFUL album.  I always said that, always will.

A special word must be said about probably THE most bashed song of
Kate's, "Reaching Out".  In America (I don't know about places where
Kate's considered Mainstream), her audience consists of a very large
core of whom 90% of the music they listen to they do just to piss
off their parents.  Someday, I'm going to make the world's worst-selling
Heavy Metal album called "I Like My Parents", including such cuts
as "I don't need the Car This Weekend" and "Can I Help with the Dishes?"

Anyway, when an obviously PRO-Mom song like this comes along, these
so-called rebelious blockheads just kind of short circuit.  "Cloudbusting",
while also being pro-parent, passes with these kids simply because
it's about a specific parent, and one who's a certified wacko to boot.

So open your minds, folks!  "Reaching Out" is a WONDERFUL song!

That being said, Y should I love U is utter garbage.  In terms of
lyrics, it's actually quite clever (especially that little part at
the end), but musically, it's mid-80's MOR at it's worst.  But what
REALLY kills the song is:  Where is Kate?  Why does this Lionel
Richie soundalike get all the good parts?  If it were a duet with
The Self Obsessed Wanker Formerly Known As Prince, it MIGHT have worked,
since TSOWFKAP would have put some REAL soul into the song.  If it
were Kate just singing herself, it would have DEFINATELY worked.
But it's not, so it doesn't.

4)  Don't Give Up - was this ever released as a single in the U.S.?

- Stev0 the Reacher

"Mary Helen/Myra Ellen - coincidence......or CONSPIRACY?