Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Advanced music processing (NOT)

From: a94mikja@ida.his.se (Mikael Jakonen)
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 94 13:13:11 +0100
Subject: Re: Advanced music processing (NOT)
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
content-length: 1351

 allen_watson@quickmail.apple.com (Allen Watson III) writes:

>You can hear what that sounds like without cutting any wires, if you have a
>surround-sound system.  Just turn the front speakers all the way down and
>listen to the surround speakers.
>
>Cutting the ground wire makes the 'phones get only the part of the stereo
>signal that's different on the two channels, and that's also what a
>surround decoder does to create the "back" channels.

I knew all that already. It was a topic here a while ago. (I don't have the
original posting, so I can't give you a date for it...) I didn't intend to
look ignorant about the subject, I just wanted to know if anyone had tried it.

When you cut the ground wire in the phones, you'll get a mono sound.
The surround system produce a stereo sound. (I believe so. I've actually
never heared (as far as I know) a surround system) Any way, it should not
be too difficult to build a device that produce a stereo sound. Some
op-amps should do the trick. Of course, It won't work that good if one of
the channels is out of phase, say 60 degrees.

Mikael Jakonen                                             Odi profanum vulgus

a94mikja@ida.his.se